Friday, August 19, 2011

Working the System

I'm worried. Seriously. My kids make me laugh but also I'm a little/lot worried about Eddie. The other day I was telling him I had to work instead of playing. There was a pile of dishes from making Zucchini bread that I had to clean. Anyway Eddie says, "I hate work." I thought oh this could be a teaching moment so I started talking to him about the benefits of work and how some day he'll need to work to support himself because daddy and I weren't going to support him forever. He needed to be in school for us to support him. He came up with a solution rather quickly. "Fine I'll go to college. I'll take one class at a time and go to school every other day." I'm flabbergasted by his perceptiveness but also scared. He's not even in first grade and he's already figuring out how to work the system.

2 comments:

Maryann said...

You've got your hands full! They learn so quickly!

James said...

I'd be more worried about the system itself, whatever keeps them independent of it and whole spiritually, that's whats important in my opinion. People commit suicide when they lose their job because of their misperceptions. Except for korea, where people do it because culturally children take care of their aging parents, so parents commit suicide. But I digress. I'm sure you're doing an excellent job Megan.